Smartphones are powered by lithium ion batteries. Lithium batteries are powering devices, and even automobiles now. They are revolutionary in ways. Thin, powerful, light weight, but unlike their less sophisticated cousins, they can dangerous when they malfunction.
If you’re not sure what I mean, here’s some information from How To Geek:
“ When lithium-ion batteries are over heated, over charged, or simply failing due to old age, it’s possible for the inner cells of the battery to outgas a flammable electrolyte mixture. This is where the swollen battery effect comes from: the batteries are designed to contain, as a fail safe measure, that out gassing so that it doesn’t cause a catastrophic fire. When this happens there’s nothing you can do to prevent swelling, but here are some best practices to help not only prevent a swollen battery, but to maximize its normal life as well:
- Make sure to use the appropriate power charger for your smartphone. Never use cheap third-party chargers and chargers which aren’t rated for your device’s power, despite the fact the plugs may fit.
- Try not to leave your device plugged in all the time, because if you do, you aren’t allowing the battery to exercise its capacity. If you’re someone who usually has your smartphone at home, then you’re likely to fall into this trap, but you should try your best to avoid doing this.
- Always keep your smart phone or its battery stored away in a place that is cool and dry. You can use it in the sun now and then, but make sure that you never keep your smartphone in a humid, hot environment.
Once you notice something is wrong, be smart and trust your phone to professional who can not only replace that swollen battery but can safely dispose of your damaged one. Lithium ion batteries are still a marvel and they usually work well, but they are not something we should be tinkering with. And certainly not something you remove and throw in the trash. If you have heard about the issues with Samsung Galaxy 7’s catching fire. The lithium battery malfunctions are a contributing factor to those fires.
At Cellular Solutions, we always help you make the most of your phone or tablet and do our best to keep them running at peak performance.